Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Etymology of "Raw"


Astro Lux was indeed evaded last night. Despite the effect that a bottle of wine, 4 G&Ts and a beer usually has on my judgment, I was finally convinced that evasion was the only viable option after Lux described *read: warning!* his friends as "raw". Now, "raw" reminds me simultaneously of potentially fatal meat and condom-less sex, so the possibility that an entire group of people that one chooses to socialize with can be described as "raw", led me directly to the fountain of all knowledge: Urban Dictionary.

"An adjective describing something completely hardcore and awesome; anything truly amazing and cool; anything tight in the ultimate way; frequently followed by shit, as in 'raw shit'". [HAHAHA] Note: I was not completely remiss. This listing was directly preceded by, "Sex without a condom. i.e. I did that bitch raw." Nice. Ah, and in case we were unconvinced how ultimately tight the word "raw" can be, the sample sentence provided details, "I got a job. My boss smokes bud, dude! Like, we'll have hour-long breaks and he breaks out this bombass nug and I get paid! That's raw!" [Really, you have a job? Although, I do applaud the proficient use of syntax, so OK, you've convinced me.]

The real travesty of Urban Dictionary as a tool in general is that I find the synonyms listed at the top of the page to be slightly unreliable. As a mere budding scholar in the pursuit of a more hood-rat vocabulary, I feel misled by the listing of "sushi", "krispy", and "vagina" as possible options to replace "raw" in conversation. (Clearly I need to avoid redundancy, as to maintain the ultimate-ness of my krispy sushi vagina ways; In combination, that probably means triple raw.)

The official Etymology of "raw" includes descriptors such as, "thick fluid", "serum", "bloody", "sore", "inexperienced" as well as "damp and chilly". In sum, this all still sounds more like someone losing their virginity than a group of purportedly "hardcore and awesome" amigos. Conflicting sources left me momentarily waylaid trying to decide whether the raw-ness of Lux's friends was in fact positive or not.

Ultimately, after consulting Kelly, her text summed up all I needed to know: "Hahahaha, yeah that can't mean anything classy."

No comments:

Post a Comment